Monday, April 11, 2016

Back in the U.S of A

April 11, 2016

We have officially been home from Uganda for almost a month now! Time flies!!! There is not a day that has gone by that I have not thought or talked about our experience in Uganda. It was absolutely amazing getting to experience a new culture on a different continent. It is not everyday you get to take a trip to Africa. I am sure I can speak for most of our group when I say that this experience has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking. Since I have been home I have began to take more time to stop and think about how thankful I am for the opportunities in my life. I admired the hope and appreciation that everyone in Uganda had for their education, and I realized I needed to do a better job of appreciating that as well. Often times we see work, classes, and homework as an added stress or burden in our lives instead of a privilege. I often forget to remind myself how lucky I am for the education I have received, and the knowledge i have acquired throughout the years. The students at AAH seemed so happy and thankful everyday to be at school, something that is so admirable. As a future educator I want my students to feel the same appreciation, something that I am going to strive to incorporate into my lessons. We went to Uganda to help the teachers of AAH and the outreach schools learn new strategies that we use in American Schools. Along with achieving that, we left the country learning more than we could have given then. I learned about myself, how I react in situations I am not always comfortable in, and how I handle the immersion in a new and unfamiliar place. I learned about education, and how it does not come easy for everyone around the world. Many boys and girls are not given the opportunity to go to school, and many are not given a choice from their families. I learned about a new culture, a unique way of living that is not centered around technology or materialistic items. I learned how quickly you can form a bond with someone from another country, and how that bond can change your life. I am forever changed by the experience I had while in Uganda, and I will forever take the memories and experiences with me wherever I go. It has helped change me both as a person and as an educator. 

Signs of encouragement posted around AAH. This was one of my favorites.

A few AAH students and I on sports day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment